While we’re busy with subtracting the excess in the month of September it’s really important to remember WHY we’re subtracting all of the extra stuff, noise, doubts. Everyones reason is slightly different but for me subtracting was a way to reflect what I value most. I value experiences, making memories with those I love, being present in the moment.
And the truth is: sometimes I forget.
In the busyness of making meals, doing laundry, running a business, being a wife and mom, feeding pets and the needs of a home I forget that it isn’t about the email that pinged my inbox or the load of laundry waiting to be folded. The seasonal to do list appeals to my desire to check things off lists and keep a focus on the good stuff.
A peak at our Fall List for this year:
- Plant bulbs around the house for the spring to bloom
- Zoo Boo!
- Maize Maze at Long Acre Farms
- Tailgate in our own backyard
- Fire in the fireplace
- Read a book that has nothing to do with anything at all
- Pick apples
- Bake pumpkin bread & heat up apple cider
- Jump in the leaves
- Bake an apple crisp
- Create the grateful wall project I’ve been dreaming of (more on this to come)
- Make Turkey’s out of hands
- A day spent exploring a new little town
- Fire outside, cozy blankets, toasted marshmallows
- Pumpkin picking with a hay ride
- Visit Stonybrook
- A turkey in the smoker
- Take a weekend trip
This weekend we found a frog in Grandma Sandy’s yard. After lots of attempts you were able to hold him – in awe of how fragile he was, how scared he was to be in your big hands and how brave he was to jump blindly out of your hands to go home. This frog and I have a lot in common my sweet girl. You have a lot in common with him too. We all do.
There are so many vulnerable sentences to fill in this space and I’ll be honest with you I am just not that brave today. But I will say this.
When you are holding something as delicate as a frog or another persons heart or self worth – be gentle.
When you notice that someone is scared – try to help.
When you see someone demonstrate bravery beyond your comprehension – be inspired.
When you find yourself scared of where you are – be brave enough to come home. Here you will always be welcome, loved and safe.
When you feel fragile be thoughtful about the people you put in your life. There are so many people that love you so please don’t spend one day wondering where you could turn because there are so many places.
When you jump – know that you’ll land on your feet.
And if you get swept up by some gentle giant I hope you have an adventure just like this frog and think: this world is so big anything can happen.
My sweet girl. I love you more than all the words could write – more than all the stars could shine. Every day I give you my best and I’m so proud to be your Mommy.
(click the image to pin this item on Pinterest – I’d be oh so grateful!)
In One Month the next phase of Subtraction Project kicks-off.
I am so flipping excited about Septembers Subtraction project. I love the fresh start that September feels like – I don’t know if it’s the fall, the break from the summer, the school buses that cut me off but it all just gets me really excited. We’ve got some really amazing updates for this round of the #subtractionproject like:
- Brand new prompts – don’t worry your favorites will still be in the mix too but each day there is something that’s never before seen.
- Ways to delegate things to your loved ones and scripts. Some of them are literal laugh out loud moments and some of them border on threats but the bottom line is: This doesn’t ALL have to fall on you and I’m gonna help you enable the people in your home to take on a little bit more.
- Video. It’s happening. I wanted to do it last time and I frankly was a big basket of scared and while it does freak me out a fair bit and I’m the kind of girl that gets pregnant EVERYWHERE (those of you with pregnant bumps I envy you) I’m going to just put myself out there and give you video because if I’m not brave enough to do it now, when will I be?
- Recaps. Each week on Saturday there will be a recap and a little bonus challenge featuring all of YOUR successes this way if you get swamped on Thursday you will get access to the prompt again on Saturday without keeping that email in your inbox.
Would you help me spread the word?
I’d love it if you did.
Click to tweet: 30 days of subtracting the stuff so my life adds up: yes, please! Want to do it too? It’s free! http://ctt.ec/RLmQ0+